Monday, July 2, 2012

Train Ticket to Anywhere

With Carolyn on the Train to Yeosu.
Happy on a train as usual.
 I swear... I am most happy when I have somewhere to go.  And this weekend was lovely.  I went to a friend's place in Jinju (a nearby city) and then we headed out the next day to the World's Fair.

Yeosu Expo is what they are calling it this year...and it's all about preserving the World's Oceans and Coasts.  That's right up my ally. :-)




At the World Expo we saw things from so many places.  This is actually my second time going but I just couldn't see it all the first time.  (And honestly I didn't see it all the second time either.  But I am content with all I saw this last time).

Below are a couple photos.



Displays at the Expo

Shows in the Street

Ice Core in the Swiss Exhibit


Anyway.  That Sunday morning I stayed with Carolyn again in Jinju.  We went to the Fort that makes Jinju famous.  During the Japanese colonization, the Japanese attacked the city of Jinju and all the people had to hide in the fort and fight them off.  The Korean people won this battle but Japan attacked again with vengeance to  preserve their honor.  They sent so many forces that Jinju didn't stand a chance.  They destroyed the whole city and killed everyone.  We lit incense in honor of the 60+ generals that were buried there.


I know that the past events of this city compose a sad story. But I think it is good for me. I so often get frustrated with things in this country.  And sometimes it helps you understand the people a little better when you know where they are coming from.



~Caroline R. 

No comments:

Post a Comment