Wednesday, June 27, 2012

"You Get What You Get!"

I had the joy of video Skyping yesterday with the little one I used to Nanny.  It was adorable.  She is almost five years old now.  I could tell she liked the video idea, she was making a ton of faces.

I just finished a big meal at the Curry Pot this evening and went for a walk at the nearby park.  I found myself a bench near the fountain and sat for a while.  I just got thinking about the times I had with my little girl back when I was a Nanny.

I remember that when the garden was in full swing, I would pick for her fresh fruits and veggies that I had grown.  I spent a lot of time and effort to make her delicious meals with my produce.  I remember countless times that I would sit down to lunch only to see her poke at the food with the fork for maybe ten minutes.  Then she would say, "I'm full!"

"You are not full," I would say. "you haven't even taken a bite.  I grew this from a little plant for you.  Please just try it."

"How about I get gummies instead?"

Her favorite snack was gummies, but it is not snack time it is meal time.  So I would say the usual; "You will not get gummies right now.  You will get what you get and you won't throw a fit."

I got thinking about my relationship with God.  How often has he been preparing something for me for a long time?  Growing it, harvesting it, preparing it, serving it.  And how often have I looked at it and decided that something else was better?

Perhaps I need to take my own advice, "You get what you get, and you don't throw a fit." After all, my Father knows best.

No comments:

Post a Comment