Monday, June 25, 2012

Flexible


I am learning now to be flexible.  And I don't just mean I have joined a yoga class...though I have. :-P  I am learning that things are not always going to go your way... instead of beating yourself up for being human, you learn to roll with it and enjoy the ride.

My first time to meet Raymond.  He's a rescue.

This weekend was quite busy.  I spent Friday with a couple good friends at the 6k.  I even ran with one of my students.  She helped me translate the registration page and decided to tag along.  I didn't know if she would make all 6k but she did.  I am so proud of her.  There were many high fives at the end.

Then Saturday I went on a hike with this new guy I met.  We got ourselves completely lost...and this is where being flexible comes into play.  We found ourselves at this temple...and there was a family who was praying for their newly deceased matriarch.  They invited us in and gave us some food to eat.  We declined profusely because we didn't want to intrude...but old Koreans always get their way.  Needless to say, we even left with our packs filled with fruit.

When we finally got off the mountain I was a half an hour late to my friend's birthday party at the beach.  I didn't even know where I was so I hopped on the first bus I saw and rode until I could get oriented.  I eventually found my way to the beach only two hours late.

Because I didn't get to run home, I found that I had no money.  And I was at the birthday party a little too late.  The subways stop running at midnight.  And a cab home was out of the question.  I had to bum ten bucks off of the birthday girl and stay the night at a Jimjilbang.  (basically a spa that lets you sleep on the floor).  I paid seven bucks and was given pajamas and a blanket and I settled down for the most restless night on the stone floor of the communal sleeping room.

It was about two in the morning when I finally blocked out the light and the sounds and fell asleep. (many snoring men)  At about  three in the morning I felt something touching my feet.  I woke up to find that a man put his blanket right next to mine and his feet were touching mine.  THERE WAS NO NEED FOR THAT!  There were only about four other people in the room and plenty of space.  I kicked him a few times but he didn't get the message...so I curled into a small ball and fitfully finished the night.

About 5:45am I got up and caught the subway back to my place, had a few Skype dates,  ate soup for breakfast, and then went to meet my friends for a hike.  My friend Alicia volunteers at the dog shelter and just so happened to meet a little guy named Raymond.  She decided to rescue the little guy and he joined us for the hike.  The hike ended at the water temple.  So nice.  Needless to say...I am a little tired.  And tomorrow is "Terrible Tuesday" as my co-teacher and I call it.  Wish me luck guys!

3 comments:

  1. Oh Caroline! I had a funny feeling you should have come with us on the subway... gut instinct. Glad you survived the night, reminds me of Ruth uncovering the feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They always say to trust your instinct. Oh well...I got a goofy story out of it! Enjoy Singapore friend!

      Delete
  2. Let me just say that your calf muscles look nice :) (HUHHHH!!!!!) Thinking of you darling! I love and miss you tons!

    ReplyDelete