Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Laos

OK!!!!
So...I have been an emotional roller coaster!  I have never had to plan like this before.  I have a lot of respect for the people that just go with the flow and travel around for months on end.  I am 2 days in and I am exausted.  When I landed in Laos, I had to pay for an entry visa.  $35.  Well, I said, I am a resident of Korea so all I have is Korean won.  "Oh!  We don't take that"  They took my passport and I couldn't get it back until I paid.  But I couldn't pay.  so I tried to pull from the limited cash in my american account...but, the atm wouldn't let me.  TEARS FLOWED!  Then, a random Korean man who happed to be there exchange some money with me.  And later once I was in the country...I was able to exchange more.  BUT I WAS JIPPED!  They exchanged it for half of the price.  But who am I to argue with them...they were the only ones exchanging money.  I still have Won that I didn't exchange hoping to get a better rate in Thailand when I return.  But we will see.  Just emailed the girls home to let them know what happened and to warn them that I may have to pay for my stay later. (Hopefully my Korean paycheck will go in on the 25th and I can use my card.)

Anyway...found myself worried and pouting half the night.  I am broke.  But then I just realized that everyone else here is too!  But we are all backpacking poor people looking for fun.  So this morning, I apologized to God.  I know that I should trust him more.  And I got off my self pity horse.  I walked around for a good 2 hours and saw the beauty of this place.  This village is between two rivers and it is amazing.  Neat how you enjoy yourself when the self pity goes away.

I want to go sometime to the night time market, and one sunrise to see the monk progression.  Both are free...which is another reason why I like this place.  We are all poor.  :-P

Tomorrow I have one thing that I paid for..a food market tour and a cooking class.  I so look forward to it.  I may end up paying for a bike rental one of these days too...just for the fun of it (it's really cheap)...but we will have to see what happens.  I am well though..so don't worry about me,  Just keep me in your prayers and I am sure I will stop being a worry wart eventually.  Love you guys!
~Caroline R.

2 comments:

  1. Caro!! So I hope you have an amazing time for the rest of your Laos trip! I am super excited for you and wish I could be there with you! I miss you and really want to talk to you! I have sooooooo so much to tell you about and I really want to hear more about you! But I totally understand if I don't get to talk with you until you get back :) Be safe and have fun though!!! Praying for you!!!!!!!!!!! I love you so so much!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha...glad I got to skype with you randomly yesterday!

    ReplyDelete