Saturday, January 21, 2012

Bangkok

I am so happy. 

Well, first of all I was kinda panicky because I got into the Train Station and went to buy my ticket for Chiang Mai for tomorrow.  BUT, the exchange booth didn't open until 9:00am to change money...and it is Sunday so all the banks are closed.  AND I was told there was only one bed left of the sleeper train to Chiang Mai.  (Otherwise I would sit on the train for 15hrs which would suck!)  Anyway....I was praying a lot and when the exchange booth opened up I got a decent rate on the Won to Baht.  I was happy.  So I ran over to the ticket counter and the one bed was still open...even 45mins later.  BLESSING!!!!!  THANK YOU GOD!

Anyway...then I was going to take a Cab to my hotel but they were all throwing out outlandish prices.  So I was being stubborn and decided to walk the 1hr 45mins.  In the end..the map I had was wrong and I stood in the street with little tear-lets in my eyes.  A girl about my age came up to me and offered to call the hotel on her cell phone.  They gave her the right directions and I got on the back of her motorbike...and we rode through the streets of Bangkok. (That will probably be my favorite memory).  As we rode she pointed out the preparations for Chinese New Year tomorrow.  There were people dressed as dragons dancing and fire crackers going off everywhere.

Anyway.  I am safely at my hotel now.  And I went straight to the travel agent who gave me good advice.  "Never let the cab driver tell you what to pay.  Always demand that he use the meter...then you can not get ripped off."  I may or may not walk to the train station tomorrow...we will see how I feel.

Lastly.  At the travel agent I arranged to be driven to the famous floating market.  They even will give me a 30min speedboat tour.  I am really happy.

God has been so good to me!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!!! I am so excited that there are people there that are so kind....kind enough to see you in the street and offer to call the hotel AND to take you there!!!! What a wonderful blessing!!! I love that you are meeting so many new people and having so many wondeful intercessions with God. I am so happy for you and so happy that God is wathching over you, providing for you and keeping you safe.

    p.s. super jealous about you getting to see the Chinese New Year parade stuff (WILL YOU GET TO SEE THE ACTUAL THING???) and that you get to see the floating market!!! What a wonderful experience!!!!

    I love and miss you soooooooooooo much!!!!

    Praying for you!

    p.s.s. your stubborness makes me laugh :) Oh silly Caroline hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The actual celebration is tonight so I will miss it. I will be on the sleeper train to Chiang Mai. But I did go to ChinaTowne yesterday to see them set up. It looks really big. There is even rumor that the princess of Thailand will be there!

      Delete