Tuesday, January 24, 2012

At the Home

Ok.  I am at the home in Chiang Mai.  This is northern Thailand so it is a little cooler than Bangkok...thankfully.

The train ride took over 15.5 hours so I am considering a direct bus back instead...we will see how things workout.  Everything is very chill here.

Basically I expected to be put to work right away...and I was still feeling super antsy after the fast-paced Bangkok.  But when I got here I was taken aback.  Things are so calm...and I really haven't done much except hug and play with kids and then eat really good home cooked food.

Tonight I will be more "pushy" and try to help cook dinner.  You have to be a little forceful to volunteer around here...otherwise they just like to have you relax and play with kids.  And tomorrow I will be teaching one of the house moms English for a few hours.  She has a workbook that she is going through.

I will try to get myself out to what they call "The New Land" where they are building a new girls home.  I want to help with construction but they wouldn't let me today.  They said it was hard work and too hot for me.  So...I will ask again Saturday.  As I said...you have to be a little forceful to volunteer.  (Totally different than what I expected but I figure that if God want's me to spend my volunteer time playing with Kids...then so be it.)

These kids are so full of love.  I wake up to thier laughter in the morning and enjoy every moment of seeing thier faces.  One little girl and I have inadvertently invented a counting game.  I usually win because she can't go over 40 in English.  But I hope to get her to 100 before I leave.  It all started with her saying "I love you" and I said "I love you too" and she said "I love you three" and you can imagine where we went from there.  :-)

So, despite the fact that it's back to the basics (bucket showers and outdoor kitchens) I feel incredibly at home.  I have made friends with the American Intern here and we "camped out" on the balcony last night.  We started by watching Korean Dramas on her computer then I fell asleep towards the end.  Next thing I know a mosquito net is thrown over me and I mumble a sleepy thank you and drift back off.  I hope we sleep up there again tonight.  The weather is perfect and the stars are so bright!

I love that Chiang Mai is the polar opposite of Bangkok.  It is restful...which is something I need. God is teaching me that rest can be just as important as doing.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness!!!! I am so excited that you get to play with the little kids!!!!! :) And it makes me happy to know that you really want to help and are trying to be forcefull in getting your way to help out rather than just play with the kids. :) What ages are they? All ages??

    I am very glad to know that you are safe and sound in Thailand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Eliza and I got a little worried about you when you never showed up on skype but we prayed for your safety and figured you prob just didn't have the internet access that you thought you would. Or maybe there was just a miscommunication in figuring out when you would be on.

    I love and miss you very much!!

    So jealous that someone else gets to watch the stars with you!!! :P (jk....glad you can share that moment!!!!!!!!). But I must say that I wish i was there with you!

    I am glad that God is giving you some peace and rest. I think you need it.

    ReplyDelete