Friday, January 27, 2012

Saturday

So it is Saturday here and I want to update you on my time here so far.

1).  I helped cook dinner one night...and I am so stoked about having a new-found curry and coconut soup recipe!
2). I finally got the english teaching schedule down...as long as nothing comes up...but something always comes up...so really my teaching times are pretty random.  I have taught 5 people so far and have one lesson today (easy day is saturday).
3).  I went to the Elephant camp yesterday.  YEP!  I rode an elephant.  And I even got a big wet elephant trunk kiss.  BEST THING EVER!
4).  I got to play with the cutest kids ever!  And this morning, one just plopped herself on my lap before breakfast and started coloring.  I love it!


So...a little bit about the home I am at.  I will still keep the name anonymous.  There are 3 houses on this property.  The one I am staying at holds about 45 girls.  They range from 2 years until high school.  These girls were either taken from the sex slave trade or were brought here before they got into it.

One example.  A 18 month old girl who I dearly love was brought here about 4 months ago.  Here is what happened.  One of the house mom's was at the night market and she passes a woman who is literally trying to give her baby away.  Both Parents were HIV positive and knew they were dying.  They were trying to pass the baby off to anyone who would take her.  (Any pimp could have taken her but by the grace of God, our house mom got there first).  So she is safe.  But for an 18 month old she was a very angry girl.  She would bite and kick and scream.  But I see her now and with the love she has gotten over the past 4 months, she has changed so much.  It's beautiful.

There are so many more stories about the kids, and the testimonies of the house moms and just a lot of amazing things...but there is no time.  I am on a borrowed computer.  :-)  I have to go guys...

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an amazing time. As for the coconut soup recipe, I went looking for coconut milk this week to make some dishes from Micronesia. I went to 3 stores and couldn't find it (I didn't check Cosco). Maybe you'll want to bring some back for yourself (and me).

    ReplyDelete