Friday, December 2, 2011

Open my Fridge and the Whole Place Smells like Kimchi

Hello all!


So, things have been going well.  My co-teachers have invited me to a little co-teacher retreat at this villa in the countryside next weekend.  The villa belongs to the family of one of the teachers.  And it should be an interesting weekend.  It will definently be a cultural experience...namely me never knowing what's going on (cuz when you get them all together, they kinda forget to use English for me...haha)  So I will let you know how that goes when I get to that point.

Anyway,  I have a phone now.  :-)  I am so happy with my techno toy.  :-)

Also, this Sunday I am bringing a Guest English Teacher from orientation to my church.  I really hope he likes it.  It would be cool to start seeing people from my group head to church.  The majority have claimed atheism and one Buddhism (but not devout...she's Buddhist only cuz her parents are).

You know the little girl who clung to me from the orphanage?  <see below picture from November post>.  Well, I got her name for the Angel tree project and am hoping to get her a HUGE stuffed animal for Christmas!  I can't wait!

Not too much more is going on.  Well, except me being a mean teacher one day.  I was forced to actually discipline which is hard for me.  But in the long run I need to be the teacher not the friend.



Though I do want to be someone approachable for help.  Which I think I am.....I have a girl who is hoping to do a study abroad in the Atlanta, Georgia in January.  She came to me to help her prepare for the phone interview and I gave her a list of questions that they may ask.  Then she requested that we meet again to talk.  The second time was yesterday and we discussed difficulties and culture of American high school.  After that, she asked that I meet her one more time if she passes the interview so I can help her prepare to leave.  If I help no one else in my career here...at least I know I helped one girl.

Anyway...enough of that...let me show you some photos.


Ok...so this was the most difficult thing for me to try to eat yet. (this is a tiny crab....chilled...shell and all.  this was harder to stomach than the Mugwort/Woodworm and even the baby octopus.  Yeah...will not be eating that again unless stranded on a deserted island. 
I thought this huge crab was going to escape his tank in the seafood market.  I was like...RUN FOR IT LITTLE GUY!!!!!!












It's now the Christmas season here...and a visit to Nampo-Dong shopping district got me in the spirit.  I couldn't help but set up my own little tree in the Apt.  It's my little 3 foot Charlie Brown tree...but I love it.  I even have gifts under it already that I need to send out for family soon.  Hopefully I won't make the same mistake that I made with Alesha/Eliza's gifts...which are now on a boat to America...and should arrive anytime from February to April.  We know for the future "Airmail" is the correct response to anything they ask in Korean.  :-P

3 comments:

  1. ok. I love this post!! But curious about one thing....is there something that happened with your ref. that made the room smell like kimchi? Or was that just you being creative in coming up with a title??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and by the way... Your tree is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah...there is Kimchi in my fridge. Ha ha. Mo-coteacher made me some and I need ot figure out what to do with it...haha. I mean of course I will eat it..but when is the question. She made a ton and I am not sure how long the stuff lasts. Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete