Saturday, October 22, 2011

Shock!!!

Hey guys.  I am still in orientation.  I am having a little culture shock.  Well two forms of it really.  The first of it is the most serious.  I am stuck in basically 2 buildings with about 200 English speakers from around the world.  All over really, from South Africa, UK, Canada, US, everywhere and they range in age from 22-60yrs old.  Anyway, I am pretty sure that all but one person I have met so far, drinks and swears like a sailor.  I am not saying that I jugde them, don't like them, or that I think they are bad people.  I just am going to need some adjusting from my little world of Southern Baptist University.  I suppose for the first time in my life I am really in the world.  Even before in my travels, I was very sheltered...the people I travelled with were Christian and I expected a difference in culture from those I was visiting.  This trip however blind-sided me.  I never thought to prepare myself to culture shock among the travels.  I am really seeking my role here and becoming mildly discouraged.  I mainly just want to get away from this orientation and go to my city and settle down into my new life.  I am in Limbo now it feels.

The second culture shock is very minor.  I mean little Korean things like blowing your nose in public being taboo, repecting the elders to the extreme (bowing), or strange toilets and such.  But the Koreans are much more accomidating so it is not so hard.

Though I did have one run-in with a toilet.  There it was, western style seating (yes!!!!!) but maybe about 8 buttons all in Hangul.  I figured that I would find the flushing one before I did any business...just in case I did somehing stupid. (good idea!).  So I stand slighty to the side of it and hit a few buttons.  At first nothing happened.  Then it made a noise, a little nozzle popped out of the back, and started shooting a pretty intense stream of water against the stall door.  I was pressed up against the wall going...OH MY GOSH!!!!  Trying not to get sprayed.  I finally figured out how to turn it off...which was not the same button as on (which would have made life easier).  I left the stall with the decent sized puddle in search for a "dumber" toilet.

Anyway, Jet Lag is still pretty intense and it takes a lot out of me.  Also, I spent 17 dollars on an international phone card that I can't figure out how to use.  BOOO!!!  We will see what happens.  I just need a lot of prayers and encouragement to find my way here.  I left ALL my friends and family.  I have no one here.  And it has been difficult to build good relationships here...especially in such a short time.  There are a lot of walls built up around people and it is hard to find sincerity.  I think it is because everyone is so new to each other.  We are all busy trying to simulaneously advertise ourselves to find new friends while defending our hearts against these strangers.

I love you guys and miss you!
~Caroline

6 comments:

  1. Hey dear!!! I am happy that I have a way to write to you while you are away!!! I love that I get to read about what is going on in your life contrary to the distance we are separated by (and it is way more instantaneous than it used to be!!!!) So anyway, first I wanted to tell you....I was talking to Eliza the other day and we were talking about how when you get to know a person so well, you get to a point where you can hear that person's voice and see their actions in your mind as you read something of written form from that person. So....I totally do that with you!!!! All of your little posts come to me as if you are sitting next to me in my room. One thing this made me think of was (background info: we are reading Julian of Norwich, Margery Kempe, and The Wife of Bath in Brit. Lit. and in the first two, they have visions of Jesus being in their presence and talking with them) what if we get to a point in our lives when we know Jesus so well that we can imagine that he is sitting next to us just talking as if he was there. Wow...what a powerful image!!
    So second, culture shock! I wish I would have thought to say something to you in some way. The thought never crossed my mind. I know that this is not quite the same thing, but I feel like I can relate to how you feel with leaving everything you know and love and going to a completely foreign place, not knowing what to expect or being thrown into something you were not expecting. This summer when I was at my internship EVERYONE wanted to go out drinking and to clubs and stuff all the time. All I could think was.....why is this the only way you people know how to have fun. You don't HAVE to have alcohol to have a good time. It drove me crazy and was completely different. I had walled myself up so much at little old GWU that I thought the friends I had were the kind of people that I could find everywhere. That those party people were in the minority. But boy was I wrong. I learned a lot about myself, my faith, and how to cherish the things that I have. My experiences at GWU are priceless and this summer made me even more grateful for them in so many ways. So yeah, I kinda get what you mean. But I know that God will give you strength to pull through. You are a strong. AND you can be whoever you want to be, but just be you. :) Cause that is all that matters in the end. It does not matter what people think of you, as long as you hold true to your values. Some important person (Walt Whitman maybe) said "Always be yourself because the people that mind don't matter and the people that matter don't mind". I love that!!! :) It makes me happy.
    So the toilet thing.....I like almost fell out of my chair laughing about it! HILARIOUS!!! You know that whole...I can see you doing things...yeah. Totally happened just now as I imagined you trying to figure out how to make a stream shut off and being disappointed by the time you left. HAHAHA!!! I shared it with my roommate for my mission trip and she thought it was hilarious too :)
    Ok. so I hope this helps you. I am praying for you love!!!! I will pray that God will continue to use you where He needs you to be, that you can not feel so confined (although I know, we outdoorsy people need fresh air), that you will find some good and genuine friends, that you will not feel lonely and can rely on God to lift you up and keep you company when you don't have someone right there, and a lot of other things. But I love and miss you so much and I just hope and pray that ultimately you will have a good adventure and learn about yourself and God. -Another quote that I don't know the author of..."The Grace of God will not take you where the Will of God is not with you". I love that one too!

    God Bless

    Love,
    Alesha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, the picture you have on the top of this blog is beautiful! Does Korea really look like that? I can't wait to see pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks love! You are amazing. I will probably read this a couple times. :-)

    As for Korea. That is a photo from the Internet of Busan (where I will be teaching). I am in Seoul (the capital). Seoul is just a city...nothing special...kinda dirty. And I am ready to leave it.

    BUT BUSAN!!! Oh I have been told that it even though it is a city they incorperate a lot of nature in it. The beach is to one side and the mountains are to the other. Everyone says that it is beautiful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness!!! That sounds gorgeous!!! Can't wait to see pictures of it! I know you will go exploring and I can't wait to hear about it. I pray that God can give me words to say to you to encourage and uplift you in whatever trial you may be facing there.
    When do you go to Busan?

    Love you!!!
    Alesha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I leave on Wednesday. :-) Pretty sure that I teach on Thurday so I am preparing a ppt about me specifically making 3 points. Then getting the kids to make name tags and list 3 things about them on the back (in English). Then I will have them discuss it in groups and then I will have a few of them share.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! That sounds like a really awesome activity!!!! If I was in your class, you would be my favorite teacher :) I think they are going to have so much fun with you!!!!! Let me know if you need anyone to bounce ideas off of! Also, I want to know how your first day goes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is super important that you share! :) I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete