Friday, October 28, 2011

First Day of School

So today I followed Tori around.

Many of the girls would pass me in the hall and later on the streets and practice thier English, "HI NEW TEACHER..." or "HI CAROL..." (Caroline is too hard for them).  Anyway, then they would giggle and turn away with an awkward shyness.  They are so darn cute.  Their English level is very low though.  I am teaching at the equivelent of a vocational school...so the not-so-gifted attend.

Today I showed my co-worker the photo of my washer and asked them to translate the buttons.  OF COURSE NOTHING IS THAT EASY.  Every simple thing in Korea is an ordeal.  So...it ended up being a group of four surrounding my camera...jabbing away in Korean for 5 mins and then saying we don't know.  Then two of them took me back to my appartment and went upstairs with me...sat in front of the washer and figured it out.  BUT..no one who went with me could speak English that well.  SO...after some Sharades...we got it figured out.  YAY!!!

I met the Guest English teacher at the neighboring middle school.  She invited me to go to see the fireworks festival with her and her church friends tomorrow.  She says that she goes to a university church taught all in English.  I will see if I can get directions there from her tomorrow.  I am looking forward to it.

Blessings to all and Grace,
Caroline R.

4 comments:

  1. Your washing machine scares me, and I've never even met it! Pretty sure I would've started crying the second I saw all the buttons. haha.

    And the fireworks festival sounds incredibly awesome and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness!! What fun! I am so glad you got the washer figured out now....how many people does it take to work a washer?? Hmmmm.... :P Anyway, glad to see that there are so many people that want to help you! I think that means a lot about the place you are.
    Guess you are probably curling up in your bed for the night about right now, meanwhile I just woke up!!
    I am super excited about the fireworks that you get to see! I wonder how different/the same they will be. Do you know what the festival is for? What are they celebrating?
    Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alesha stole my joke! What a great set up the whole washer joke thing was.

    Caroline, I am so proud of you! It makes my heart swell to know how strong in faith and mind the young women my daughter calls her friends can be. I love reading your blog about your adventures! Keep up the writings and know that I am praying for you.

    Alesha's Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahahaa!!!! :) Ya snooze ya loose!!!!

    ReplyDelete