Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Jerrabomberra Wetlands

I am sitting in the Public Library enjoying the free public internet service.  I love Australia!

As you can see by the title of this post, I am working in Jerrabomberra Wetlands.  These wetlands are important because the migratory birds that come down from Asia nest here.  We are close to nesting season and these wetlands need a lot of help.  You see, Australia has a sensitive ecosystem.  It is basically a large island, so when an invasive species gets here, it takes off and destroys the dynamics of the environment here.  There is an African Thornbush that had made itself at home in these wetlands.  A CVA (Conservation Volunteers Australia) team came in here before ours and killed a good deal of it.  So our task for the week is to plant native plants to reclaim this ecosystem.

On Monday, we planted 100 native species (and this is no easy task).  It starts with digging, then planting, then securing with a box guard for protection from rabbits and roos, then watering, and lastly mulching.  (The mulch is made from the chipped African Thornbush...a fitting end to the invaders I think.)

On Tuesday, we planted 133 native species of trees and shrubs.  We also painted some duck nesting boxes for weatherproofing.  After work that day, a teamate and I went for a hike to see if we could see some wild Kangaroos.  TASK ACCOMPLISHED!  Those things are running around as common as rabbits once you are up in the hills. (But they are easier to see than rabbits because they are huge!)

And today, we planted 70 natives and also prepared and placed 3 of the duck boxes in the marsh.  I really enjoyed this part because I got to wear rubber waders and operate a power drill.

I am having a good time but I am finding myself really tired.  We are working from 8:00am to 4:00pm everyday.  And when you are swinging a Maddock all day digging, you find yourself rather beat at the end of it.

Church family, please pray for my team, we spend so much time with each other that sometimes we need to get away for a bit.  Also, please pray big time for my health.  I hurt my foot and have been fighting with it...trying not to get infected.  I have been keeping it clean, but it hurts.  And it kept me up a good part of last night.  So Caroline is sleepy today.  Also, I am wind-burned and sunburned at the same time, and my hands have taken quite a beating.

I will try to get back on the internet when I finish here and head to Melbourne.  Wish me the best!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment