Monday, July 23, 2012

Tears for Mayo


So, this sounds a little embarrassing, but it gives you some insight into the human mind.

I haven't shopped for a good two weeks because I wanted to be sure that I had enough cash to pay my phone bill.  I got back from work today at a little after noon (1/2 days for English camp.) I was REALLY hungry and sleepy...  I thought I should maybe nap then eat something small for a late lunch.

I got a little rest (thank God because I haven't been sleeping well at night).  When I woke up, I went downstairs and out to the market.  I walked around the store with my $3 budget but nothing looked good.  I have been severely lacking in fruits and veggies because I can't even imagine buying apples at $10 for a bag of 5.  Mom sent me vitamins, but sometimes you just want real food.

So, I saw the tomatoes.  I was like...yummy!  Those are only $1 each...and I can get some lettuce for $2.  Ohhh...I was building a sandwich in my mind.  They had some fake meat that resembled ham that wasn't too pricey.  And in the fridge section they had a tube of white cream, "Mayo", I thought.  It was outrageously priced though, a small tube for $5.

I walked around for another 3 or 4 mins craving that sandwich that was out of my budget. Then said, "Why not!?!?  I just will be good about my other meals this week!"  Between the aforementioned sandwich supplies and a pear (which was $2.50  OH MY GOSH!) I spent $18.  But, this has to be worth it right?

I get back to my apartment and start piecing together my prize only to find that the "Mayo" was really sweetened condensed milk.  I can't read anything here with the language barrier.  Tears began to flow....

Then I beat myself up, "Don't cry over Mayo.  You can eat the sandwich without it."  But it was no use.  I lost it.  So I just let myself go.  I sat on the couch and cried about Mayo.

This taught me that sometimes you have to cry, even over the little things.  And I am a little embarrassed.  I mean, I can give things up...mayo is no different right?  I can shower cold out of a bucket in Thailand, I can sleep on the floor in India, I can survive nights filled with sweat and mosquitoes....but, every once in a while, a girl needs to cry.  And it took the form of Mayo this time.


Which one is Mayo????

No worries friends...I am too stubborn to eat my sandwich without Mayo.  I traversed to two more shops while my sandwich lay open on the counter.  In the last store, I found a bottle.  And the sandwich was worth it, believe me!

Now I just have to figure out what to do with the sweetened condensed milk....

3 comments:

  1. I think that condensed milk is for patbinsu. (shaved ice, red beans, canned fruit cocktail, and condensed milk.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make iced coffee with sweetened condensed milk, like the Vietnamese do. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/vietnamese-iced-coffee/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This idea is brilliant! I tried it this morning. So tasty! Thank you!!!!

      Delete