Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Lack of Shock

There are limited positions at the Home here.  Only so many bed, only so much food, only so little funding.  So we have somewhere in the area of 14 openings for new kids.

We have over 80 applicants (either a family member or elder in the village will apply for a child to come here).  Yesterday, I went with one of the house moms to a Lahu Village to witness an interview/hear the needs and weigh who comes and who stays.  She has the difficult task of determining who is the most "at-risk".

After winding up the mountains and back down the mountains for a couple hours, I stepped out of the van in the village.  The mountains were beautiful and the air was clean.  The houses were poor and made from wood and bamboo (many not fully enclosed) and a tin/aluminum roof.  Life is lived on the floor (sleeping and cooking/eating) and the toilet is a hole in the ground.

I heard plight after plight for the interviews, and saw poverty that most Americans can't dream of.  And I am utterly shocked at how it did not shock me.  I guess it's because I have been around the mission block a couple times.  I have seen so many who go without...and I am learning to go without a little bit myself....

....but even though I am getting used to the way the world works...I am not sure if I am ok with being ok with it.  Hopefully that made sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment